Middle Eastern Studies Program
The Middle Eastern Studies Program at the University of Central Florida is jointly housed by the Global Perspectives Office and the College of Arts and Humanities. It is overseen by three co-chairs, John C. Bersia, Global Perspectives Office, Janan Smither, Department of Psychology and Hakan Özoglu, Department of History. They also coordinate an advisory board that helps provide direction. The program includes a Middle Eastern Studies Minor directed by Hakan Özoglu, and co-curricular activities that are organized primarily by the Global Perspectives Office, the Global Connections Foundation and other partners.
John C. Bersia, Global Perspectives Office
PH 202, 407-823-0688
Janan Smither, Department of Psychology
PH 309G, 407-823-5859
Hakan Özoglu, Department of History (co-chair and Director of the Middle Eastern Studies Minor)
CNH 554, 407-407-823-0512
Program Advisory Board
- John C. Bersia, Special Assistant to the President for Global Perspectives, UCF (co-chair)
- David Dumke, Director, Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd Program for Strategic Research and Studies, UCF
- Amb. Harriet Elam-Thomas, Director, The Diplomacy Program, UCF
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Jay Garner, former Director of the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance for Post-War Iraq
- Roger Handberg, Department of Political Science, UCF
- Amb. Ulric Haynes, Jr., Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Global Perspectives Office, UCF
- Husain Kassim, Department of Philosophy, UCF
- Hakan Özoglu, Department of History, UCF (co-chair and director of the Middle Eastern Studies Minor)
- Sibille Pritchard, President, Global Connections Foundation
- Ted Reynolds, Department of Political Science, UCF
- Janan Smither, Department of Psychology, UCF (co-chair)
- Sanam Vakil, Visiting Scholar, Middle East Studies Program, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University, Washington, D.C., and Adjunct Professor, SAIS, Bologna, Italy
Middle Eastern Studies Minor
Click here to view the requirements for the Middle Eastern Studies minor at UCF.
Click here for a list of recent and past events supported by the Middle Eastern Studies Program at UCF.