The Isle of Man Small Countries Program
“Addressing the Unique Challenges of Small Countries”
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program is supported by the Ellan Vannin Fund of the Global Connections Foundation, in association with the business community on the Isle of Man. Housed in the UCF Global Perspectives Office, the program is a cooperative undertaking with the UCF Political Science Department, the Small Countries Financial Management Centre (SCFMC) on the Isle of Man and the Global Connections Foundation. Established in 2011, it sponsors or co-sponsors public discussions featuring top speakers, panels and other presentations; encourages scholarship and research; and works with partners worldwide. The program seeks to build upon and complement the vision of the SCFMC in underscoring and addressing the unique challenges of small countries, with a special focus on the Caribbean. It promotes awareness and discussion about security, political, economic, social and environmental issues.
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program Advisory Board
- John C. Bersia, Special Assistant to the President for Global Perspectives, UCF (Chair and Director)
- Lawrence Chastang, Principal, LarsonAllen LLP
- Tim Cullen, Executive Director, Small Countries Financial Management Centre, Isle of Man
- Jessica Gagnon, Program Coordinator, Isle of Man Small Countries Program, UCF
- Amb. Harriet Elam-Thomas, Director, Diplomacy Program, UCF
- Kerstin Hamann, Chair, Department of Political Science, UCF
- Amb. Ulrich Haynes, Distinguished Visiting Scholar, UCF
- Peter E.Q. Long, Chairman, Capital International Group, Isle of Man
- Beppy Landrum Owen, Esq., Shareholder, Akerman Senterfitt LLP
- Ted Reynolds, Global Connections Fellow of Terrorism Studies, UCF
Click here for a list of recent and past events supported by the Isle of Man Small Countries Program at UCF.
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program Fellowship
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program, the Global Perspectives Office at UCF and the Global Connections Foundation are pleased to provide an opportunity for an outstanding UCF student, undergraduate (at least junior level) or graduate, to serve as a Small Countries Fellow each fall and spring semester. Click here for more information about the fellowship.
The spring 2013 Small Countries Fellow was Jenna Allen, who graduated in May 2013 with a major in International and Global Studies, with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies. She was a member of the United Nations Association of UCF and the treasurer of the Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity. Allen is pursuing graduate studies at The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University in Bologna, Italy. To learn about other past fellows and scholars, click here.