The Isle of Man Small Countries Program
“Addressing the Unique Challenges of Small Countries”
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program is supported by the Ellan Vannin Fund of the Global Connections Foundation, in association with the business community on the Isle of Man. Housed in the UCF Global Perspectives Office, the program is a cooperative undertaking with the UCF Political Science Department, the Small Countries Financial Management Centre (SCFMC) on the Isle of Man and the Global Connections Foundation. Established in 2011, it sponsors or co-sponsors public discussions featuring top speakers, panels and other presentations; encourages scholarship and research; and works with partners worldwide. The program seeks to build upon and complement the vision of the SCFMC in underscoring and addressing the unique challenges of small countries, with a special focus on the Caribbean. It promotes awareness and discussion about security, political, economic, social and environmental issues.
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program Advisory Board
- John C. Bersia, Special Assistant to the President for Global Perspectives, UCF (Chair and Director)
- Lawrence Chastang, Principal, LarsonAllen LLP
- Tim Cullen, Executive Director, Small Countries Financial Management Centre, Isle of Man
- Jessica Squires, Public Affairs Coordinator, Global Perspectives Office, UCF (Assistant Director)
- Amb. Harriet Elam-Thomas, Director, Diplomacy Program, UCF
- Kerstin Hamann, Chair, Department of Political Science, UCF
- Amb. Ulrich Haynes, Distinguished Visiting Scholar, UCF
- Peter E.Q. Long, Chairman, Capital International Group, Isle of Man
- Beppy Landrum Owen, Esq., Shareholder, Akerman Senterfitt LLP
- Ted Reynolds, Senior Research Fellow in Terrorism Studies, UCF
Related Events and Publications
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program Fellowship
The Isle of Man Small Countries Program, the Global Perspectives Office at UCF and the Global Connections Foundation are pleased to provide an opportunity for an outstanding UCF student, undergraduate (at least junior level) or graduate, to serve as a Small Countries Fellow each fall and spring semester. Click here for more information about the fellowship.
The Spring 2017 Small Countries Fellow is Alex Gañán. He is a senior at the University of Central Florida pursuing degrees in Political Science and Interdisciplinary Studies, with a minor in Cinema Studies. His research interests include East Asian affairs, U.S. politics and the role of media in culture. Upon graduation, he plans on pursuing a career in the public or private sector. To learn about other past fellows and scholars, click here.